I love the texture of black caviar lentils (or beluga lentils or urad dal)! It is so soft but stays in good shape for days if cooked right. Perfect for meal prepping! The dark flavor complements beautifully with apricots and mung beans.
If you have some around, instead of the apricots, a little bit of pomegranate could be a nice addition too! It is not yet time for pomegranate fruits here at the west coast of Turkey, but we have plenty of pomegranate molasses here, which I’m going to use in this recipe. You can easily replace it with a balsamic vinegar.
When apricots are out of season, use dried apricots.
I chose to cook mung beans along with the black lentils since they add nice textural variety. Having mentioned them, I need to tell you this authentic mung bean salad is one of the best salads I know!
Dried mint is a nice pairing to mung beans. You could simply add half a teaspoon of dried mint to the recipe below.
You love apricots? You’ll love this Apricot Fruit Salad with Onions, White Wine and Almond Butter.
Black Caviar Lentils with Apricots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 1 cup beluga lentils (black lentils)
- ¼ cup mung beans
- 1 tbsp pomegrante molasses or balsamic vinegar
- 6 apricots sliced
- 1 tsp rosemary leaves
- Lightly fry the garlic and add the lentils and the mung beans along with 3 cups water. Let boil and simmer for about 30 min until they are soft but still in good shape.
- Turn off the heat, add the pomegranate molasses (or balsamic vinegar), olive oil, rosemary, lightly stir and ideally let sit for about 10 min.
- Just before serving, gently stir in the apricots, wait for a minute and serve.