Once you made vegetable rice, you start thinking “Well, which other vegetables can I process to get a rice-like size? And how can I use it?” There are no limits. Here I’m using golden beetroot to make sushi rice. Raw golden beetroot has like all root vegetables this deep yet apathetic flavour. It has almost no sourness to it, only gentle sweetness and bitterness – which sometimes can even feel spicy – that together seem to present the depth of the earth they were created in. They never saw the sun. Here is how their amazing character can be integrated into a raw vegan Japanese classic.
Serves 2. Preparation time: 20 min
- 2 medium-sized yellow beetroot, roughly chopped
- 2 leaves of kale, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp orange zest, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, very finely chopped
- 4 large leaves (like romaine lettuce)
- 1/3 avocado, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 red bell pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- other vegetables of choice
- 2 nori sheets
Put the beetroot, kale, pepper, and vinegar into a mixer or food processor and blend until rice-like. Put the vegetable rice into a bowl and combine with the orange zest and ginger. After having cut all the necessary ingredients for the filling, Spread out the nori sheets. Place the leaves first and then the rest of the vegetables onto the sheets and roll them up. Dip into soy sauce or the dip of your choice and enjoy!