These vegan buckwheat sourdough pancakes are so delicious and light! If you want to reduce your gluten intake or have a sensitivity this can be fantastic way to enjoy gluten-free pancakes at no cost!
I like using other types of flours because diversity
- can stimulate your appetite
- ensures balanced intake of nutrients
- supports an abundant food system which makes the natural systems we engage with more resilient.
Soaking Dried Fruits: A Habit With Potential
I discovered how amazing dried fruits can taste after soaking them. Initially, I wanted to find ways to use local produce when they are out of season, however, I ended up with two products that have good potential: the soaked fruit and the resulting juice.
Not only are both of them absolutely delicious – often featuring comforting aromas such as black tea – but also so nourishing! They make it possible to enjoy the kind of sweetness that is not fresh but settled as you can find in molasses and syrups like maple syrup. Here, we use the juice pretty much like maple syrup after mixing it with a bit of tahini.
I also have a savoury vegan sourdough pancake recipe here.
Enjoy this awesome comfort food for breakfast or, if you’re like me, for lunch or dinner 😀
Vegan Buckwheat Sourdough Pancakes (GF)
- 2 cups whole buckwheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups dried fruits
- 4 cups fruits
- ½ cup tahini
- At least a day before: Mix the water, flour – salt if you like – and let it sit. If you have a sourdough starter, add 1 tbsp to boost activity. As soon as you see bubbles and signs of fluffiness (usually overnight in a warm environment or a bit longer if colder) your sourdough is ready for pancakes!On the day before, put the dried fruits in a bowl and add water until the water level is about 1 inch above the fruits.
- The next morning, heat a pan and cook the pancakes on both sides for about 2 minutes.
- Mix ½ cup of the dried fruit juice (the sweet liquid you end up with after soaking the dried fruits) with a few tbsp of tahini.
- Place the dried fruits lengthwise on a pancake, top with the fresh fruits, the juice-tahini mixture and tahini. Eat with your hands as you would eat a taco and have a great day!